Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ah, Politics...

This video combined with the fact that our elected officials spend a ridiculous amount of time campaigning for re-election (anywhere from 30% to 70(!)%) instead of the job they were elected to do perfectly summarize what is awesome about our system of government in theory and how it is fundamentally broken in practice.


Ultimately though, where I stand on politics is pretty simple:

No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.
 - 2 Timothy 2:4


I apply this to politics -- I believe we as Christians are called to focus on pleasing God, which cannot coexist with concentrating our hope or energy on trying to find earthly solutions.

Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”
 - 1 Corinthians 15:33


This one's pretty much a no-brainer as to how it applies to politics. :)
(Think about it: how many times have you heard about someone just elected to office who was non-political and going to "shake things up"...and never heard about or from them again? They either got chewed up and spit out or fully assimilated.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do vote. In my teens and 20s I leaned left; in my 30s and 40s I tended to lean right; now, I pretty much just lean away. I am registered NP (Non-partisan), and I truly take every issue and candidate individually. This is one of the reasons I vote by mail, because it takes me HOURS! I also get involved occasionally (letters, petitions, and even sometimes protests). I do not, however, put my hope in politics. To me, it's just an endless tug-o'-war, with very little of real value ever accomplished. Consider that the Jews of Jesus' day wanted him to overthrow the Roman Empire and return them to power physically; yet, there is a reason Jesus didn't run for office or anything like it. Getting to the heart is the only way to bring about true, lasting change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the good news!  That's right: NO POLITICS IN HEAVEN!

In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.
 - Daniel 7:13-14


God is in charge.
And his reign will be forever.
No tug-o'-war; no debates; no philosophies. Just God.
And since God is the very definition of "good," "love," and the like, this is something I very much look forward to!

1 comment:

  1. Grass roots, one heart at a time, Jesus & a kingdom of the heart. Where do I sign up? :) -Vees

    ReplyDelete